A view of the spacious ceramics studio I got to work in for this project.
First lightning bolt created to sit in the hand. (Upon placing this lightning bolt in the hand, I pressed down too hard and snapped in into multiple pieces, so I made a second replica)
Beginning construction of the hand. the base is a hollow cylinder with basically a clay ball sitting on top. I later went in underneath and scrapped out as much as I could from the inside so it would dry faster and be a bit lighter to hold.
Detail work done to thumb to practice sculpting fingernails and how to make them look realistic.
Adding the base knuckle of each finger.
A second view of base knuckles. I had to make sure it stayed wet in this phase while the lightning bolt dried to prevent warping when I placed it in the hand.
One more view of the base knuckles.
Put the lightning bolt in place, and wrapped it with the balls of clay that will become the fingers.
Adding detailing to each finger and we are ready to fire! In the kiln that is.
Unfortunately the lightning bolt broke during the firing, many people were placing rushed pieces in the kiln, so most likely what happened is that one piece exploded from not being dry enough and hit the bolt, causing it to crack. No matter, after the glaze firing, I will use epoxy to stick it back on. It could not have broken in a more discrete location.
For the glaze, I first dipped the whole hand in clear glaze. I then wiped away the glaze at the wrist and wrote the lettering of the logo I was mimicking in black glaze. Then I dipped the arm back in the clear to cover it up. The black should show through the clear glaze.
A picture of the logo where I got the idea for this hand, and the lettering I tried my best to mimic on the wrist of the hand.
A view from the front of the hand before glaze firing.
I wiped the glaze away from the crevice of the hand and the tip of the lightning bolt so they wouldn't fuse upon firing. And after the firing, I epoxy-ed the bolt back together and it was finished!